ii. How to Build the Small and Medium Drip Tank System
1. The Small and Medium Frog Tanks for Drip System
Same as listed in the Tools Section of How to Build the Holding Water System Section
Same as listed in the Parts section of How to Build the Holding Water System Section. Additionally, you will need plain silicone glue for the overflow drain.
Construct the small/medium tank setup using the techniques described in the Construction section of How to Build the Holding Water System. However, rather than using the drain suction screen from the tank fitting kit, use an overflow drain (Figure 23). Make the overflow drains a few days before you need them, so the silicone will be dry and safe to use. We pre-make a large number of drains at one time to have on hand. Work in a well ventilated area to avoid fumes from the glue.
i. Constructing the Overflow Drain
1. Cut 1” diameter PVC pipe into lengths appropriate to the depth of water you need. Our drains are generally 9 cm long for small tanks and 12 – 16 cm long for medium tanks.
2. Cut 800 micron Nitex mesh into squares big enough to cover the end of the tube.
3. Apply a liberal amount of silicone glue to the end of the PVC pipe.
4. Place the mesh on the glue and press it into place.
5. If necessary, apply a second layer of glue around the top of the drain, on top of the mesh. This helps to ensure the mesh stays in place.
6. Allow the glue to dry two days before use.
7. After the glue is dry, cut away any excess mesh sticking out from the edges of the PVC.